Friday, March 7, 2008

Here's your sign...

People say the dumbest things to a woman in the last few weeks of pregnancy. Today my two "favorites" were...

...Are you sure you aren't having twins? - I've actually heard this one a few times

and

...(speaking to Malachi) Looks like you are going to have a little sister or brother soon, though it doesn't look like they'll be too little.

What I would love is to be able to come up with a witty comeback, but everything I can think of is just not very kind. How about I just have a shirt that gives suggestions for kind things to say to a pregnant woman. People obviously have not remembered the old saying, "If you don't have anything kind to say, don't say anything at all."

I realize that I have posted about this a couple times already but it truly is a very big pet peeve of mine. (just in case you couldn't tell) Seriously though, is it just me or does this bother anyone else who has been pregnant and heard similar stuff?

2 comments:

Brian on March 8, 2008 at 12:41 PM said...

How about: "I'm nine months pregnant. What's your excuse?"

(Sorry, you can tell I haven't had a stellar week.)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) on March 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM said...

I think every pregnant woman gets comments like those. I usually just ignore them, mostly - say something inane and move on. Probably people are just interested but don't really know what to say.

I think the idea of having an "educate the public" shirt would be awesome. How about a pregnancy t-shirt that lists "nice things to say to a pregnant woman" on the front and "you said WHAT???" on the back? :)