Thursday, November 20, 2008

I finally made a decision!

I have been working on my ornaments for my Jesse Tree over the last couple weeks and I would post a picture of them but I am too lazy to go through that whole process right now. Maybe I will get around to posting a picture when they are hanging on the tree. Anyway, in my online search for help with the ornaments I have realized that there are different lists of Bible characters and passages to use. I have been very indecisive up until this afternoon. I thought I would share and add my idea to the numerous other ideas out there. Maybe there are some of you that like my idea as much as I did. :)

We have The Jesus Storybook Bible that we read to Malachi almost every night. We usually let him pick whichever story he wants to read. (Interestingly enough his favorite as of late is "A little girl and a poor frail lady" which is the story of Jairus' daughter, from Luke 8) One of the great things about the JSB is that the stories are written in such a way as to point to Christ being our Rescuer. If you do not have this Bible for your kids, I highly recommend it!

Well, back to my Jesse Tree ornaments. I decided tonight that I will follow the Old Testament stories in the JSB. Due to the number of stories it works out that we will not do a new ornament on Sundays but that's okay because we will have our Advent Wreath. So here is what we will be doing...

Nov. 30 - Advent Wreath
Dec. 1 - Creation (pg. 18) *globe*
Dec. 2 - Adam & Eve (pg. 28) *apple with snake*
Dec. 3 - Noah (pg. 38) *rainbow and ark*
Dec. 4 - Tower of Babel (pg. 48) *tower*
Dec. 5 - Abraham & Sarah (pg.56) *?baby with stars??*
Dec. 6 - Isaac (pg.62) *ram*
Dec. 7 - Advent Wreath
Dec. 8 - Jacob (pg.70) *???*
Dec. 9 - Joseph (pg.76) *coat of many colors*
Dec. 10 - Moses (pg. 84) *burning bush*
Dec. 11 - Moses (pg. 92) *parted Red Sea
Dec. 12 - Moses (pg. 100) *two tablets of stone for the ten comm.*
Dec. 13 - Joshua (pg. 108) *trumpet*
Dec. 14 - Advent Wreath
Dec. 15 - Samuel (pg. 116) *jar of oil*
Dec. 16 - David (pg. 122) *5 stones*
Dec. 17 - David (pg. 130) *shepherd's staff or harp*
Dec. 18 - Namaan & Elisha (pg. 136) *??river??*
Dec. 19 - Isaiah (pg. 144) *letter/envelope*
Dec. 20 - Daniel (pg. 152) *lion*
Dec. 21 - Advent Wreath
Dec. 22 - Jonah (pg. 160) *big fish*
Dec. 23 - Ezra, Nehemiah, Malachi (pg. 168) *heart*
Dec. 24 - Mary & Joseph (pg. 176-181) *??lily and saw??*
Dec. 25 - Jesus (finish story from yesterday pg. 182, cont. reading til 199?) *manger*

I am excited to see how it goes. I really liked the idea of doing a devotion of some sort with Malachi but I think being able to read the stories with pictures will be perfect for him at this age. I figure I can always change it a little next year if I don't like any part of it. I also like that it cuts down the number of ornaments since I am a tad behind schedule on sewing them. :)

2 comments:

VerWys Family on November 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM said...

pamela - this is great! i'm excited about this bible too - thanks for your input. rachel

Gwen on November 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM said...

It all sounds great! What is your advent wreath?