Monday, December 1, 2008

Garden, Tree and Herpangina...8 months old

So there is a lot going on at the Olson home. This weekend we finally put in our garden. I have been wanting to have one for a while now and since Kurtis has not been working on the weekends lately we have been able to get a lot of projects done at the house and that was one of them.

We went 'organic' and did this crazy layering method that we read about in this article. Well, in all honesty I don't know if it is all that crazy, maybe this is how all of our friends do their gardens and I just am clueless. Anyhow, we layered newspaper, blood meal, bone meal, alfalfa, straw and compost. I have some great photos of the process but I can't find the cord to hook up my camera to the computer right now so you'll have to imagine it until I find the cord. Then we planted broccoli, bell peppers, green onion, spinach, lettuce, carrots and radishes. We also planted a different section with some herbs. It will be so interesting to see what we get especially considering Malachi helped with the planting. :)

Advent started yesterday and we lit the first candle in our Advent wreath (which Kurtis made and did a fabulous job at I might add). Then today Malachi and I put together our Jesse tree and tonight we read the story of creation and hung our first ornament. Again, I would love to post a picture but... I have not completed all the ornaments so now I have the fire under my bum to make sure I stay at least one step ahead.

Today I took Zoe to the doctor and found out she has herpangina, it's also called hand, foot, mouth disease but I like how 'herpangina' sounds. :) She had a fever for a couple days, it even got as high as 103.9 but now that seems to be subsiding and the pain of the little sores in her mouth seem to be bothering her. Hopefully she will get over it soon and the 4 other children that are in our house right now will not get it from her.

I also cannot fail to mention that our beautiful Zoe is 8 months old. I have to admit I actually scheduled her doctors appointment today a while ago because I was not thinking and figured it was necessary for her 8 month well baby...ya, no, that would be the 9 month well baby. So I was a month early :), I only felt a little dumb, I seem to be having more and more blonde moments as I get older. And speaking of getting older...Kurtis is turning 37 on Thursday!

Well, sorry about the lack of photos. Maybe I will find that cord and post them at a later date. I
think I will sign off for now and go sew some more ornaments next to the fire in our "hick pit".

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had the Herpangina bug before...there is a solution to coat the mouth...it really worked for Skye...if your interested ..let me know...I will try and look up what we did....
dawn